Monday, October 11, 2010

Daydreaming...

15,000 Word Blog Word Count: 0
My NaNoWriMo Word Count: 0

Day: -21

Tip# 0000


Greetings,

It is Monday, and I owe you another post. So my tip of the week is this: Plan, daydream, enjoy the un-commitment of imagining a story. That's the best part! Walk down the halls of school, work, or home and picture your main character leaping into action, or think about how you can write that rose shaped cloud you saw yesterday into your novel. It's not CHEATING!!!! It's in your HEAD!!!!! It is perfectly acceptable to sit down on November first and know what you're writing.

Now it is also in my experience that sitting down on November first not knowing what you are doing is acceptable too. I know people who have tried it. Now whether or not their lack of success was due to this beginning, I'm not sure. I do know that personally the only way that would work for me is if I was writing a 50,000 word journal of my boring life... and NO ONE wants to read that, haha. Though it's not the end of the world for this to happen, I'm just strongly suggesting you don't plan it this way.

I can't express to you enough how important this step is, at least for me, in the NaNoWriMo process. without October daydreaming, November's writing is like a morning without coffee. It just doesn't work out so well. A solid plan and the enthusiasm that comes along with it keeps me going for at least the first week and a half of November, maybe longer. And when I say solid plan that's just a main character and some conflict. The enthusiasm comes from me pacing around my room and talking to myself, very strange to my family's amazement, but extremly helpful to me.

If you don't know yet what to write about, THAT'S FINE!! Don't stress because you haven't fallen head over heals for a story line yet, or if you're struggling to pick which one to write. It's not the end of the world, you can still win NaNoWriMo... You just have to keep thinking. Get in the mood to write and the ideas will follow suit. That could mean writing journals about your day, about philosophical ideas, writing poems or just writing, about anything. Once you've got the mindset of magic coming out of YOUR head, the ideas will come, and you'll know what I mean when I say people must think I'm crazy for talking to myself. :)

Good Luck!!!

Dare: Daydream!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't forget to add your word count!